Having Kuala Lumpur as my home base means that I have various countries within a few minute’s flight away, and amazing cities to explore for weekend getaways. Medan on North Sumatra in Indonesia was my most recent urban jungle escape and it was a fantastic mix of touristy fun and perfect luxury pampering at JW Marriott Medan. I checked into an Executive Deluxe room and it was one of the largest non-suites I’ve stayed in in ages. This 5 star hotel is the best in town and offers up everything you’ll need for a perfect stay in Medan.
Why You’ll Love JW Marriott Medan
- The Corner Room! My favourite part of the stay was the jaw-dropping magnificent view I had from my corner room on the executive level floor. You have to watch the video to really appreciate it but you feel as though you can see all of Medan. And at night, with wine and a bubble bath and a movie on above the tub … well, it was heaven!
- Dim Sum Lunch! Jade is their signature restaurant and an absolutely pretty and delightful place to escape for meals. I tucked into some of the cutest dim sum I’ve ever eaten (honestly, I even ate an Angry Birds chicken steamed dumpling and it was 100% adorable). They have one of the largest selections of Chinese teas I’ve seen and it is presented in a traditional way and piping hot.
- Club Lounge! The club lounge wraps around three sides of the building and is an awesome place to tuck into for a sunset session and nibbles each evening. The food on offer is a mix of healthy and naughty and they can whip up cocktails if you ask. The only negative was that the offering of food is quite small if you’re used to other JW Marriott, so keep that in mind when you go. It’s a quieter hotel but that also means it’s a more zen-like vibe in the lounge, which was a GIFT 🙂
- The Spa! The spa rooms are a bit small but once that door is closed an the therapist starts working her magic on you that makes absolutely zero difference. I enjoyed their 60 minute reflexology session, which was a bit softer than what you normally find (so if you don’t like pain with your reflexology, this is your ticket!) and their 30 minute neck, back, and shoulder massage and left there completely like Jello.
- The Kaffir Lime Martini! I’m sure it had a jazzier name than that but you’ll see it on the menu. It was tart and refreshing and packed an awesome punch. Trust me on this one, you won’t be able to stop at one.
I had a pretty packed schedule of reviews during my weekend in order to shoot everything for my Medan Travel Guide video however I hadn’t booked a tour and wanted to visit their famous (and very pretty) mosque. The team helped me sort out the best way to see the remaining touristy fun bits I had on my list, they were super helpful.
Connect With JW Marriott Medan
- To make a reservation or for more information, visit their website
- Be sure to like them on Facebook for lots of fun info on Medan, special events, and offers, and more
My Other Medan Videos
- Getting around Medan with GRAB Car
- 15-minute Medan Travel Guide
© 2017, Angela Carson and LuxuryBucketList.com. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.