Sushimi is healthy, creative, and deee-lish! This amazingly high quality sushi and sashimi restaurant in Seminyak is the best, and one I could visit over and over again. Just to put into perspective how absolutely awesome Sushimi is, I’ve only been in Bali for 8 days and I’ve already been there once for lunch on my own and once for the sushi train dinner with a friend!
Why You’ll Love It
- The quality is amazingly high, they even have blue tuna from time to time
- Located smack in the middle of the main downtown shopping district so it’s the perfect spot for lunch or a post-shopping healthy dinner
- It’s VERY casual so you can go in as-is, any time of the day
- The salmon carpaccio is to-die-for!
Sushimi is the brainchild of Aussie expats Mimi and James who realised there was a gap in the market a few years ago while on holiday in Seminyak. Neither was a restauranteur prior to launching Sushimi but they learned the ins and outs in pragmatic detail for months during the planning and construction of their new baby. However, in gracious leadership style, they attribute the success of the restaurant to Head Chef Putu and the amazing staff they have, who each take pride and ownership themselves in ensuring that the quality of the food and service is 100% consistent, 100% of the time.
The first thing you’ll hear are the soothing sounds of chill-out lounge music and a welcoming voice from either a sushi chef or the sweet waitresses. As far as seating, I didn’t count them but there must be 25-30 seats around the sushi train. Additionally, there are two tables that accommodate up to six guests if you plan to order off the menu.
Sushi, Sashimi & Yummy Japanese Cuisine
Aside from the salmon which is flown in from Sweden, all of the fish and seafood is sourced from local fishermen and vendors. Trust me when I say you can taste the freshness! Choose from dozens of rolls, nigiri, sashimi, and sushi, from appetisers and veg and non-veg main courses and six leafy salad options.
Here is what I’ve tried and LOVED (…as well as edamame and other sushi and rolls from the sushi train!):
- Salmon Carpaccio (my #1 favourite, be sure to try it!) – thinly sliced salmon belly topped with leek and wasabi dressing…it’s wonderful! The leeks are a bit crispy, giving just a slight crunch to this normally delicate dish.
- Tuna Ceviche – whenever I think of ceviche I normally think of Mexican cuisine but this is a Japanese fusion dish that shouldn’t be missed. The sashimi tuna is slightly seared and topped with spicy lemon dressing and drizzled with fried onions.
- Mango Tuna Roll – this isn’t on the menu yet but you’ll love the creamy tuna and crunchy cucumber topped with fresh mango.
- Chicken Teriyaki Roll – new on the menu, crunchy and flavourful.
- Soft Shell Crab Roll – Sushimi’s traditional soft shell crab roll takes a healthy spin with brown rice instead of standard sushi rice.
- Sashimi Main Platter – OMG so goooood! 15 pieces of delicious high-quality sashimi. Artfully presented with pretty flowers to make it as pleasing to the eye as it is to the tummy.
To drink, they have a few beer options, including Sapporo, as well as Australian and Chilean wine and one label of sake. My favouite drink though was one I had never heard of before…Kombucha! I enjoyed 2 glasses of Hibiscus & Ginger Kombucha, which it turns out is an uplifting ‘attitude exiler’ with probiotics, antioxidants, and other vitimins and enzymes, along with 6% alcohol/volume. It felt really healthy to drink it and yet after 2 glasses I was indeed in a better mood and with a happy, happy soul! Sushimi offers 6 different flavours so next time I plan to try the Watermelon, Rosemary & Black Pepper variety!
Connect, Location & Info
- For mouth-watering updates follow Sushimi on Facebook and Instagram
- Open from 11:30am – 11:30pm
- Located at Jl. Dhyana Pura 4x at the cross roads Jl. Seminyak / Jl. Legian
- Phone +62 (0) 361 737 816
- Free delivery with a minimum of 150k 11:30am – 11pm in Seminyak, Legian, Petitenget and Kerobokan
© 2015, Angela Carson and AngelasAsia.com. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.