It has been years since I’ve taken a spontaneous — seriously spontaneous, as in RIGHT NOW — flight for a bit of weekend fun. So when I saw the $12/RM49 AirAsia flight from Kuala Lumpur to Medan, Indonesia and knew I had no face-to-face appointments in the coming days … I took it. I booked into the lovely little rural boutique Deli River Hotel that was also very much a budget option … and off I went.
This is a mega long 15-minute vlog from the moment I bought my ticket to my return home, complete with all of the tips and tricks I used to keep my expenses on the cheap this trip.
Here are the 2 links I mention in the video >> 1st TIMERS GUIDE to MEDAN VIDEO and the ARTICLE ABOUT HASSAN KONTAR I wrote. Hassan is the Syrian refugee I spent time with who is living at the KLIA2 airport terminal: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/04/i-dont-want-to-be-killed-syrian-refugee-stuck-in-kuala-lumpur-airport-seeks-safety/#jsfH2mp50uRQMcuQ.97
Kuala Lumpur to Indonesia on a Budget
- RM 49 flight with AirAsia with only carry-on luggage
- RM 65 airport transfer from KLCC to KLIA2 and back again with Grab Malaysia (cheaper, more comfortable, and faster than taking a Grab to Sentral for the train)
- RM 10 / day mobile service for 1GB of data roaming with special offer from Hotlink
- IDR 125k airport transfer to/from hotel with Grab Indonesia
- RM 212 / night at Deli River Hotel
- Self-guided tour of Medan using Grab driver who will stick with you the entire route. I did this using the historical book written by the owner of Deli River Hotel and it started out great!
As you’ll see, i’ve gained a new appreciation for travel size products I use every day. Although I don’t want to travel this way every time, it was crazy fun to simply back a weekender and hop on a flight so spontaneously. In Asia, especially Southeast Asia, it’s so easy to do and there are endless destinations beckoning us travellers to explore!
My Leica VLOGGING KIT
– RM 5,240, Leica V-Lux Camera with 4K video and 25 – 400mm zoom
– RM 430, RODE VIDEOMIC GO microphone
– RM 1,621, black on black Billingham Hadley One Bag
– Selfie moments:shot on my iPhone using a leather and gold MOMAX Selfie Pro stick
– Music: epidemicsound.com