Even a few days away is enough for most of us to recharge our battery or curb a bit of wanderlust. For me, that recent tonic was Medan in North Sumatra, Indonesia. This is an urban foodie destination that most people know as a gateway to the beautiful lakes and natural wonders set in deeper on the island. However, I’m happy to report that Medan is an awesome standalone destination for a fun weekend of touristy adventures, amazingly diverse culinary experiences, and as always a whole lotta pampering in 5 star style.
My Weekend Exploring Medan
- SIM CARD: buy that first so you can order a car for half the price of what the airport taxis charge. Just outside the arrivals terminal is Telkomsel, I took the 2GB plan and it was perfect.
- GRAB Medan: I used them throughout my stay for my ride back and forth from the airport as well as for my rides inside the city. The cost for the airport transfer is just 99k compared to 200k quoted cost by standard taxi drivers.
- JW Marriott Medan: this is the best hotel in town and their corner rooms on the Club level are divine.
- The Thirty Six: this is known as the coolest cafe in town
- Macehat Cafe: this is a secret gem tucked into a back street serving the city’s famous avocado espresso shake
- The Traders Restaurant: this is the city’s original fine dining restaurant and one of the only outside of a 5-star hotel
- Masjid Raya Medan mosque
- Sultan’s Palace
EATWITHROY.COM was my bible for food and how I discovered some of my favourite foodie fun with in medan, do check out Roy’s blog 😉
MY VLOGGING KIT
- LEICA V-LUX from YL Camera Malaysia, do check out their website
- Selfie moments:shot on my iPhone using a leather and gold MOMAX Selfie Pro stick
- Music from Epidemic Sound
© 2017, Angela Carson and LuxuryBucketList.com. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.
For more, check out the About Me page.