Johor Bahru is one of the most underrated destinations in Malaysia and the perfect city to visit for a fun 3-day excursion from Kuala Lumpur. While I set out to shoot a Luxury Solo Travel video, what I found was a whole lot of tips to also recommend to Families as you’ll see. So come along with me as I share everything I did in Johor Bahru, from experiencing the top hotels and Executive Club Lounges in JB to visiting a mosque and Old Town JB.
How To Get From Kuala Lumpur to Johor Bahru
Without a doubt, you want to fly with my favourite domestic airline, Firefly and use their Flight+Hotel service coupled with Premier class. Trust me, you’re gonna love it. The prices they offer for flight+hotel are much cheaper than what you’ll pay when buying them individually. They have partnered with the top luxury hotels so you’ll have wonderful choices (plus countless hidden gem budget options as well if that’s what you’re looking for).
How to Get Lounge Access At Subang Airport
I hunted and hunted until I realised it was quite simple. With the other benefits of Premier service, you are also granted Lounge access. In addition to simply being charming and chill, it’s full of assorted food and beverages to make your pre-flight time at the airport breeze by.
Contact Firefly Airlines
For more details or to make your flight booking, visit their website. https://www.fireflyz.com.my/
Top 3 Johor Bahru Luxury Hotels (in alphabetical order)
As promised, here are the links to the top 3 hotels in JB that I reviewed, all chockablock full of fun moments from every part of my stay, including full Executive Lounge tours.
What To See & Do In Johor Bahru
- Visit Hiap Joo Bakery in Old Town and enjoy piping hot banana bread fresh out of a wood-fired over. This MUST VISIT bakery was built in 1919 and whips up — no joke — the best banana bread in Malaysia!
- Cafe-hop and explore Old Town. I didn’t have the time on this first trip BUT the girls from Beer For Breakfast have an awesome video that explores JB’s quirky and yummy cafes, CLICK HERE to watch their video. (The cafe tour starts HERE, or watch the whole video that shows a wild party night they had the night before!)
- Head up to Skyscape Glass Walk for panoramic JB views (next to Amari and DoubleTree). This building is great for kids, with an Angry Birds theme park and gaming attractions.
- The lovely Sultan Abu Bakar Mosque is a real must, such a beautiful mosque with sea views. AS FOR SOUVENIRS, this is the one place I bought something! There is a lovely local artist there selling paintings and they are truly beautiful. He has been there for 22 years and a true delight, don’t miss the chance to own one of his pieces.
- DC Super Heroes Cafe at JB City Square Mall (next to Amari and DoubleTree, just google ‘JB City Square’).
- Don’t forget to eat lots of yummy STREET FOOD. The night market I visited was Pasar Malam (Night Market) Permas Jaya, just across the street from the Renaissance Hotel.